⅓ cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
800g cherry tomato passata (or pasta sauce)
1 tbsp olive oil
500g beef mince (the fattier the better, inquire your butcher for 50 for each cent brisket)
1 purple onion, finely diced
400g gnocchi* (if possible refreshing, I made use of Mamma Emma brand, see notice)
½ cup honey mustard
4–6 slices burger cheese
½–1 cup sliced pickles, plus additional to provide
1 new mozzarella or burrata ball (about 100g), coarsely torn
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170C fan-pressured (190C Typical).
2. Merge the tomato sauce and passata in a bowl and set aside.
3. Spot a frying pan above medium heat. Incorporate the olive oil and once hot, add the mince as a single massive patty, about 2cm thick. Use a spatula to push down on it and prepare dinner until finally charred and golden brown on a person facet, about 5 minutes.
4. Flip and prepare dinner the other facet. While the 2nd side is caramelising, incorporate the onion all-around the edge of the pan so it can prepare dinner at the similar time and absorb the juices. Prepare dinner right up until the onion is comfortable and translucent, and the meat is cooked largely the way by way of – you nevertheless want some pink (about 5 minutes). Remove from the pan and established apart.
5. Return the frying pan to heat and insert the gnocchi (you could need to include another ½ tablespoon of olive oil if you used lean mince). Prepare dinner, stirring generally, right until the gnocchi has taken on some color on most sides, 1–2 minutes. Switch off the warmth.
6. Pour half the sauce into a baking dish. Drizzle over the mustard and organize the burger cheese slices in a solitary layer, chopping to healthy. Major with the onion and scatter with as quite a few pickles as you can manage.
7. Use the spatula to break the meat patty into substantial chunk-sized chunks. Place 50 % the meat across the leading – this is not a exact system, anyplace and in all places is superior. Incorporate the gnocchi and major with the remaining sauce.
8. Force the remaining chunks of meat into the sauce and leading with any cheese slice offcuts and the coarsely torn mozzarella.
9. Location in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or till the top is effervescent and the cheese has melted. Taste a piece of gnocchi to assure it has cooked as a result of.
10. Time generously with salt and pepper. Scatter with chopped parsley, if employing. Serve piping hot and with additional pickles.
*Take note: A contemporary, refrigerated gnocchi operates ideal. Skip the boiling ingredient and give it a flash fry in the pan to get some crispy edges, then straight into the baking dish. (If you were being to use the grocery store aisle variation, par boil them initially or they might be far too chewy.)