CHEF and blogger Paul James writes for our paper.
Had A terrific weekend in London to soak up the environment for the Euro Remaining, in which sad to say England just fell quick on penalties.
I have been to London a reasonable couple of instances for many explanations but this is the 1st time I could have a very good search close to and do some of the touristy items with my youngest son Jay.
A single of the spots we went to was Buckingham Palace and this is wherever I noticed a plaque on the Palace gates with the identify engraved ‘Bromsgrove Guild, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire’.
In 1905 The Guild was commissioned to offer gates and railings to the palace.
Though I was there I was lucky more than enough to do a few of critiques, ‘The Steak and Co’ in Kensington and ‘Escondidinho Coffee’ shop in North Stop Highway London, both of those of which will be on my ‘Recipes From My Travel’ Fb web site.
This acquired me considering to one particular of the recipes I wrote for my final book ‘Great Britain and Cornwall’ version a single.
It is one particular of London’s most well known and talked about dish ‘Pie, mash and liquor sauce’.
Pie and mash is a common doing the job-course foods, originating in the East Conclude of London.
Pie, mash and eel retailers have been in London given that the 19th century, and are however frequent in East and South London. These retailers may perhaps serve stewed or jellied eels together with the dish.
This recipe is for my London good friends who will no doubt wipe out me if it is not on level.
Never mess about with stocks, puréed this, that and the other, this is a very simple to do dish at property.
Now I know my Cockney pals will be inquiring in which the eels are, effectively superior luck with that for the reason that I don’t do eels!!
Pie, mash and liquor sauce – Serves 2
Ingredients (liquor sauce)
500g chicken inventory.
Fresh parsley leaves chopped
Salt pepper to style.
1. Melt butter, whisk in cornflour to a paste like regularity and little by little incorporate chicken inventory.
2. If your liquor is lumpy really don’t worry just sieve into an additional pan.
3. Increase your refreshing chopped up parsley and period to flavor.
Substances (pie filling)
250g beef or steak mince
1 oxo dice
1. Dry fry mince till cooked.
2. Make gravy as normal.
3. Merge jointly.
Ingredients (pie conditions)
Completely ready made pie conditions.
Prepared rolled puff pastry.
1 Crushed egg.
1. Roll out pastry, reduce the lids to protect pie case, insert filling, top rated with pastry lid, crimp edges of pastry to pie case ( be as fancy as you want with the crimp or just use a fork to seal edges )
2. Brush with crushed egg and prepare dinner in oven until Golden brown.
Components (mashed potatoes)
2 significant potatoes
Salt & pepper to flavor.
1. Peel and 50 % potatoes, position in a cold pan of slightly seasoned h2o and provide to the boil.
2. When tender drain, incorporate butter, include milk and mash till comfortable and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Location pie and mash onto a plate and pour liquor sauce around.